Little Wet Whistle Pig
Wet Whistle Pig

This young ground hog was hanging about 6 feet from our bedroom door this afternoon, right after we had had a rain shower.  This photo is taken with me in our bedroom.  I shot through the screen door using my 300mm zoom lens and using my knees as a tripod to try to keep the camera steady.  It’s not a prefect photo, but how often do you get to shoot a whistle pig right outside your bedroom door?

9 thoughts on “Photo for the Day: 05/16/07

1. Jim says:

That is really a terrific photo!

2. Carol says:

Ground hogs are great animals .

He is cute as a whistle.
    Carol

3. actlsze says:

what a neat pic Moll….kinda like you snuck in to his world

4. DREW says:

Young ones, huh? Be careful…Those buggers will undermine the foundation of an outbuilding pretty quick. Since my dog left, I’ve seen them getting closer to my house and I’m in a territorial battle with them.

5. Justin says:

I dont know if you like people asking question but I am going to ask one. How do you get a nannie to stop kicking when she is beeing milked? My sisiter apline x had a baby last frinday(1st timer). And she kick when we milk her. Help.

6. Justin says:

And I forgot to ask you how to break goats to electric fence?

7. JacqI Masingale says:

Molly,

Love your site, your graphics, and your photography! Stumbled upon it because my partner came home with 2 4wk old kids last weekend. We’ve been talking about getting a goat or goats for several years, but she had a chance to rescue some from bad conditions. They were sickly but are improving rapidly and we have fallen in love with them.

My main question/comment though is about your photos. I used to be a photography hobbyist, back in the day when I could develop my own and spend the day in the dark room. I recently sold my high dollar 35 mm Minolta Maxum because it was too complicated. I preferred my simple, old, plain SLR Pentax with it’s albeit massive but trusty zoom. I knew what I was doing with it.

I finally took the plunge and got a digital camera, but I hate it. The biggest thing is there is a terrible delay. And the quality of photo is only mediocre to sometimes good. Your photo have great quality. (Yes, I know a lot of that is skill of photographer.) What kind of camera do you use? What kind of zoom do you have? Any suggestions?

Jacqi

8. John and Betsy Chapman says:

Molly—Great picture. Will you start raising whistle pigs or don’t they need help? Do they get along with goats? It could be an untapped market. John

Justin: Please read the information I have written up here:

Justin: “How to break goats to electric fence” – Let them touch it when they are young, they won’t want to touch it again.

John: The whistle pigs do very well on their own :)
    They do visit the barn on occasion and the goats to not seem to mind.

Jacqi: I know exactly what you are talking about in terms of digital camera being slow. Point-and-shoot digital cameras can be very frustrating when you desire to take good photos and not just snap shots. This is why I upgraded to a true Digital SLR (dSLR). Of course, as with most things, you get what you pay for. My camera was not cheap, but I think it was well wroth every penny. I adore my current camera. There is no lag when you turn it on and it has a mechanical shutter (instant). ALSO… it has a true optical view finder, so what you see in the view finder is what you get in your photo.

If you desire to take the plunge into high quality digital photography, I highly recommended starting what I currently use.

I currently shoot with a Nikon D50 dSLR
    Lenses:
    Nikon AF Nikkor DX 18-55mm 1:3.5 – 5.6
    Nikon AF Nikkor DX 70-300mm 1:4 – 5.6
    Flash: Nikon Speedlight SB-600

My dream camera is a Nikon D200 with 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Nikkor Zoom Lens :)

or better yet a Nikon D2Xs like my buddy Mark uses :) :)